ISO 45001 is the first International Standard for Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems (OHSMS) has been published to address the increasing number of work-related injuries, illnesses, and deaths worldwide. Its focus on risk prevention, innovation and continual improvement will benefit organizations with the foresight to achieve this global standard through improved organizational resilience. As well as increasing employee engagement and publicly demonstrating commitment to sustainable work by providing safe and healthy workplaces, this standard focuses on key business challenges such as the supply chain and continuity planning. This allows organizations to anticipate, adapt and respond, providing both resilience and agility in a global marketplace.
ISO 45001 is intended for use by any organisation, regardless of its size or the nature of its work. The standard will assist an organisation to fulfil its legal requirements under the Australian safety laws by outlining an approach for the implementation of reasonably practicable steps to ensure safety.
A systems-based approach
Well-designed policies and procedures help organisations comply with work health and safety legislation and regulations. However, a workplace health and safety management system is much more than simply having safety-related forms and policies in place and documented procedures. Rather, it is about achieving the measures and contents of the safety documentation in an ongoing and managed way.
A systems-based approach is far more effective in protecting people from harm and meeting safety goals than a system which relies on documentation alone. This is because a workplace health and safety management system:
- is evolving and continuously improving
- uses feedback to manage and improve safety related outcomes
- builds on existing health and safety processes
- integrates with other management systems
- provides for more informed decision making
- strengthens corporate culture and demonstrates due diligence.
Top tips for implementing ISO 45001:
- Get commitment and support from senior management
- Engage the whole business with good internal communication
- Compare your existing systems with ISO 45001 requirements
- Establish an implementation team to get the best results
- Map out and share roles, responsibilities and timescales
Getting ISO 45001 Certified
- When you’re confident that you’ve completed the implementation of your Occupational Health & Safety Management System, ISO Experts will support your organisation against the standard’s through a third-party certification body.
- To achieve ISO 45001 certification contact our ISO Experts experienced team. Our team will guide you through the process by simplifying your ISO 45001 application and certification process.
- For further information email: ISO Experts